I can willingly admit (with only a little bit of shame) that Peeps are one of my favorite spring time treats. I just can’t stay away from those sugar coated bunnies and chicks. But, this year I decided to resist temptation by making my own Spring Time Marshmallow Treats!
Now, you probably all know about my slight obsession with homemade marshmallows. I love to break my recipes for Candy Cane or Bourbon Brown Sugar for the colder months but today’s variation is perfect for a sweet Spring time treat or as a yummy addition to your Easter baskets.
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 c. water (divided in half)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Semi-sweet and white chocolate
- Spray a 9×13 pan liberally with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper, then spray again. Don’t skimp on the spray!
- Pour 3/4 cup water into mixing bowl and sprinkle in gelatin. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, syrup, salt, and the remaining 3/4 cup water into a medium sized pot.
- Boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Without stirring any further, heat to 238F (use candy thermometer). When it’s ready, it will start to look bubbly and foamy on top.
- Pour done syrup slowly into mixing bowl. Work up to a high mixing speed and continue to beat for about 12 minutes until stiff, fluffy, and white.. I usually like to put a towel over my mixer to contain the steam and any potential splatter while I’m increasing speed.
- Add vanilla. Mix 1 more minute.
- Spread into prepared pan and let sit for 3 hours uncovered.
- When done setting, spread top with powdered sugar and then release onto a clean surface covered in more powdered sugar. Cut into squares with a sharp knife and dip all sides into powdered sugar.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Melt chocolate and prepare sprinkles in separate bowls.
- Carefully dip marshmallows into chocolate, then sprinkles, and place on cookie sheets to dry.
Okay, tell me the truth! Do you like peeps or not? Every person I’ve ever asked seems to have a very strong opinion either way. If you’re not a fan, can we still be friends??