I can willingly admit (with only a little bit of shame) that Peeps are one of my favorite spring time treats. I just can’t stay away from those sugar coated bunnies and chicks. But, this year I decided to resist temptation by making my own Spring Time Marshmallow Treats!
Now, you probably all know about my slight obsession with homemade marshmallows. I love to break my recipes for Candy Cane or Bourbon Brown Sugar for the colder months but today’s variation is perfect for a sweet Spring time treat or as a yummy addition to your Easter baskets.
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 c. water (divided in half)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Semi-sweet and white chocolate
- Spray a 9×13 pan liberally with non-stick spray, line with parchment paper, then spray again. Don’t skimp on the spray!
- Pour 3/4 cup water into mixing bowl and sprinkle in gelatin. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, syrup, salt, and the remaining 3/4 cup water into a medium sized pot.
- Boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Without stirring any further, heat to 238F (use candy thermometer). When it’s ready, it will start to look bubbly and foamy on top.
- Pour done syrup slowly into mixing bowl. Work up to a high mixing speed and continue to beat for about 12 minutes until stiff, fluffy, and white.. I usually like to put a towel over my mixer to contain the steam and any potential splatter while I’m increasing speed.
- Add vanilla. Mix 1 more minute.
- Spread into prepared pan and let sit for 3 hours uncovered.
- When done setting, spread top with powdered sugar and then release onto a clean surface covered in more powdered sugar. Cut into squares with a sharp knife and dip all sides into powdered sugar.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Melt chocolate and prepare sprinkles in separate bowls.
- Carefully dip marshmallows into chocolate, then sprinkles, and place on cookie sheets to dry.
The chocolate and sprinkles give a nice crunch but the marshmallows themselves stay perfectly fluffy! Wayyyy better than Peeps!
Okay, tell me the truth! Do you like peeps or not? Every person I’ve ever asked seems to have a very strong opinion either way. If you’re not a fan, can we still be friends??
Here we are again. At the end of another month. I hope you are all wrapping up an awesome February and are ready for March and hopefully some spring time weather! Down here in Texas, we’ve been flip-flopping between hot and cold like it’s no one’s business! Like Wednesday was in the 30′s and today’s high is 80F! Even though I totally don’t mind the cold weather, I wish dear Mother Nature would just pick one!
Anyways! Weather rant over. Today we’re closing out February with a wrap up from my instagram and daily one-line journal. Let’s see what went down!
- Who knew there was an 8AM on Saturdays? Productive day today.
- Basically had an Office marathon playing the background all day.
- An awesome coworker brought in authentic gumbo for the whole office!
- Bought the Lord of the Pies as a special treat (apple + caramel! Yum!)
- We’re planning a cheer party!
- SNOW DAY! Except we both still have to work.
- Watched documentary on Mitt Romney. Different perspective and good conversation.
- Feeling so adult. Underwriting to start retirement planning.
- Seriously what breakfast beats pancakes and real maple syrup?
- Cupcake baking and party prep
- Delayed start because of weather this morning. Perfect time to ice cupcakes.
- Freshman cheer party at Sunset!
- More cupcake baking! Pink Champagne this time!
- My cheesy mustache valentines were a hit with the boys at work.
- Gaining some financial momentum! Paid off a major account today!
- In Denton for cheer competition. Also met “Ferret Girl” on the square!
- Mondays are way worse after an awesome weekend.
- Gorgeous weather today. Ate lunch outside and listened to Think on NPR.
- Feeling nostalgic and watching The Titanic
- Ate lunch in the deli with a fun IT employee!
- Cheer tryouts for next year. A late and crazy night for Josh!
- Slept in, cuddled, and watched The Hobbit.
- Just one of those Sundays where I never put on pants.
- Back to the gym I go.
- Star Wars and chicken tortilla soup at home for Josh’s birthday.
- Planning some big, exciting, and scary changes for this year.
- Officially signed on with a personal trainer. Here we go.
How lovely was your February? Let’s hear the highlights below!
In college, I was pretty obsessed with baking. I even started a tiny dessert catering business where I baked treats and created pretty dessert bars for parties. Now, that I’m in the “adult world” with full-time employment, I don’t get to bake as much as I used to, but I sure do love me an awesome cupcake.
Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, I thought it be fun to share with you one of my absolute favorite cupcake recipes that would make a perfect Valentine’s treat. Wait until you try these Pink Champagne Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream.
Continue reading →
Hooray hooray, it’s almost Valentine’s day! Well, I guess you could call 2.5 weeks almost right? While I can totally admit that Josh and I aren’t 100% on board with obligatory gift giving holidays, I do love the spirit of Valentine’s day. It’s the chance to show appreciation and share some love with everyone! (You can go ahead and call me a hippie now.)
To kick off the countdown, I’m bringing some electric brightness into your day with some Neon Valentine’s Day Present inspiration!
Continue reading →