Hello and happy Monday! I wanted to take today and just update y’all on what’s going on here at Two Live Colorfully. If you come around often, you’ve probably noticed a little less action. Well, that’s because Josh and I are figuring out exactly where we want to go in the next few years and how to get there.
First things first, we’re officially staying in Dallas for one more year. We’ve signed another 12 month lease for our current apartment. We are knee deep in “saving for a house” mode, so it made the most sense to stay where we are while we prepare. Honestly, I wasn’t too psyched about this, because I’m worried about running out of projects and ideas to share with you all over the next year here, but when it comes down to it, there is still plenty of work to be done.
We’re still going to be continuing with our minimalist-lite series as well as moving decor around, upgrading a few things, and maybe even trying a few new “apartment friendly” techniques just for fun!
The other thing that has been taking up most of my time is a new resurgence of working out and eating right. It’s not something I’ve ever really talked about here, but I’ve struggled with weight issues for as long as I remember. And, up until now it always felt like I would have time later to sort it out and get healthy. But you know what? That time is now! I’m officially an adult and there is no longer an excuse to be unhealthy. (Not that there ever really was an excuse.) If you follow me on instagram, you might have seen that I’ve hired a personal trainer to help me out. I’ve committed to six full months with her. For the past few weeks, this is what has been dominating my extra brain space.
I know Two Live Colorfully has been about home decorating and DIY, but I’d like to bring a bit more of our actual life into this our corner of the internet. I’m not sure of the exact details yet, but I’d really love to share a few health and fitness updates with you. Not to take over the site, but just to share a little more of our colorful life. Nobody has a perfect life, even if that’s all you see on the internet. People have struggles and hard decisions to make and I want to be someone who isn’t afraid to share mine with the chance that it could help someone else.
So, three months into 2014 and this is where we are. Lots of changes happening and lots of things to be excited about. I hope you’ll stick around to see where this goes!
Happy Tuesday gang! March is here and this month I want talk about cleaning! Please don’t misunderstand my enthusiasm as a love of cleaning, because I downright dread it! Why don’t things just stay clean, right?! Well, we’re still trucking along in our Minimalist-Lite series and the next task I’m tackling is how to make keeping a clean home as simple and efficient as possible. Because, I want to enjoy the home we’ve worked so hard to put together not spend hours and hours cleaning it.
The first thing I wanted to try was greening up our cleaning supplies and moving away from harsh chemicals. Over the past few months, we’ve really been loving the method product line, but I wanted to give the DIY route a try too. So, today I’m sharing a super easy DIY Natural Orange Cleaner that you can make for practically nothing!
This cleaner is made up of three ingredients! Yup, just three! Orange peels, white vinegar, and water. Nothing toxic here!
When I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I was a little skeptical. Whenever I eat an orange, it usually makes a sticky mess! Wouldn’t that mean sticky counters? Well, it turns out it does not! I used this in our kitchen, wiped down with a paper towel and there was no left over residue.
Here’s how to make it:
- In a clean mason jar, start storing left over orange peels as you have them. To keep them from going bad as we collected, I kept our jar in the freezer. Any time we ate an orange, I grabbed it from the freezer and added the new peels until we had a jar ful.
- Cover the orange peels with white vinegar; almost to the top. Let sit for 10-14 days. Again, I kept this in the refrigerator while it steeped to keep it out of the way.
- After your wait is up, strain the orange vinegar mix into a bowl. You’ll definitely want to use a fine mesh strainer to catch any gunk that could clog your spray nozzle.
- Mix in a large spray bottle. Use 1 part orange vinegar, one part water.
- Use on pretty much any non-porous surface!
The original recipe came from Gammy’s House Blog and she has a lot more awesome information about why this solution works and what you can use it for, so be sure to check out her site for more details!
I don’t know if it will completely replace our current surface cleaner, but I really do like the fact that I know exactly what’s in this cleaner.
Do you have any other awesome DIY cleaning ideas or recipes? I’d love more inspiration! Share below.
Here we are again. At the end of another month. I hope you are all wrapping up an awesome February and are ready for March and hopefully some spring time weather! Down here in Texas, we’ve been flip-flopping between hot and cold like it’s no one’s business! Like Wednesday was in the 30′s and today’s high is 80F! Even though I totally don’t mind the cold weather, I wish dear Mother Nature would just pick one!
Anyways! Weather rant over. Today we’re closing out February with a wrap up from my instagram and daily one-line journal. Let’s see what went down!
- Who knew there was an 8AM on Saturdays? Productive day today.
- Basically had an Office marathon playing the background all day.
- An awesome coworker brought in authentic gumbo for the whole office!
- Bought the Lord of the Pies as a special treat (apple + caramel! Yum!)
- We’re planning a cheer party!
- SNOW DAY! Except we both still have to work.
- Watched documentary on Mitt Romney. Different perspective and good conversation.
- Feeling so adult. Underwriting to start retirement planning.
- Seriously what breakfast beats pancakes and real maple syrup?
- Cupcake baking and party prep
- Delayed start because of weather this morning. Perfect time to ice cupcakes.
- Freshman cheer party at Sunset!
- More cupcake baking! Pink Champagne this time!
- My cheesy mustache valentines were a hit with the boys at work.
- Gaining some financial momentum! Paid off a major account today!
- In Denton for cheer competition. Also met “Ferret Girl” on the square!
- Mondays are way worse after an awesome weekend.
- Gorgeous weather today. Ate lunch outside and listened to Think on NPR.
- Feeling nostalgic and watching The Titanic
- Ate lunch in the deli with a fun IT employee!
- Cheer tryouts for next year. A late and crazy night for Josh!
- Slept in, cuddled, and watched The Hobbit.
- Just one of those Sundays where I never put on pants.
- Back to the gym I go.
- Star Wars and chicken tortilla soup at home for Josh’s birthday.
- Planning some big, exciting, and scary changes for this year.
- Officially signed on with a personal trainer. Here we go.
How lovely was your February? Let’s hear the highlights below!